Austin Learning Solutions, founded by Ann Conolly, a certified reading specialist and therapeutic trainer, solves reading and learning issues for children with dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, CAPD, Autism Spectrum and processing disorders.
When parents call me to get help for their child, they have run out of options and are worried about their child’s development delay. Their child is struggling with reading, spelling, math, executive functioning, or to pass standardized tests. I listen and know from experience that the child may have auditory, visual or sensory processing challenges. In some cases, the student may have a learning disability, such as dyslexia, Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Austin Learning Solutions has a proven track record with helping children recondition their brains—through cognitive therapy and sound therapy—to overcome these processing challenges and prepare them for success in school.
Processing skills are those fundamental abilities that we bring to the learning table, such as:
- Memory problems
- Auditory processing
- Visual processing
- Sensory processing
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or lack of focus to complete tasks
Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD)
- Processing speed
- Organization, planning, and completion (executive function skills)
- Logic and reasoning
These skills or the lack of them seriously impacts any person's success and confidence. For academic teaching to be effective, good processing skills must be in place. Therefore, academic tutoring alone will only put an expensive "band-aid" on the child's problems. When tutoring is discontinued, academic performance and motivation drop off steadily. The student still has the same learning problems as before!
What Is Needed:
- Correct assessment of what is causing the learning issues - very important
- Carefully planned protocol for the student's needs, to train and stabilize deficient processing areas
- One-to-one training and coaching to enable the student to become a capable and independent learner