We specialize in Dyslexia and overall reading remediation in general. During our one hour one-on-one clinical sessions we focus on areas such as:
- handwriting/letter formation and letter reversals
- spelling and writing
- sound/symbol association
- phonological awareness and auditory processing
- introducing a new sound and continuously
reviewing previously taught sounds
- mutli-syllable strategies
- fluency and reading rate
- test-taking skills
- best note-taking practices
We believe in going to back to the basics. We find and improve upon any cracks in the child's previous phonics foundation. We use a multisensory approach that helps students to retain information such as the sounds and symbols of our language. In addition, we train the child along with their parents in these methods so that parents have the knowledge, tools, and confidence to carry out home practice with their child between clinical sessions.
We are certified in the Phonographix Reading Method and have been for over 20 years. We have continued to use this program due to the high reading and spelling success rate we have seen in our students. Over the years, we have noticed that this program really clicks for students with Dyslexia due to its individualized explicit instruction and simplicity.
More About The Phonographix Program
The Phono-Graphix Reading Method is a phonetic-linguistic approach to teaching reading, based upon extensive clinical experience with children and rigorous research in the fields of reading, cognitive psychology, learning theory, child development, motivation theory and linguistics. It takes the sounds of the English language – and teaches the various sound-pictures (letters) that represent those sounds in careful stages.
Phono-Graphix is remarkably straightforward and sensible, and has been helping students to read since 1993. It has been successfully utilized in classrooms, clinics, pull-out and RTI programs, bilingual and ESL programs.
What makes this program so unique and effective?
- Phono-Graphix is based on the nature of the English code as described by linguists. Instruction progresses from the sound to the symbol.
- Lessons employ the requisite three skills to access such a code, as understood within the field of neuroscience: segmenting, blending, and phoneme manipulation.
- Lessons are errorless - every response which doesn't produce a meaningful answer becomes a highly teachable moment which does. Memory networks are laid down through multisensroy instruction: sound to symbol/symbol to sound, and each response is reinforced by accuracy.
Because our clientele are children, the program is taught in keeping with the way children learn, through paired association embedded in engaging and straightforward lessons.
Phono-Graphix is not based on nor an extension of any other method, theory, or book. However, it is aligned with science of reading method and based on the true nature of the English written code.
Watch Ann, the founder of ALS, help Zachary practices his advanced code skills!
"A child who is confused about reading needs to be taught how our language works. Learning to read English is not as difficult as it’s reputed to be." - Ann Conolly
Digraphs for the sound ‘ee’ are taught in this lesson.This video demonstrates the Phono-Graphix techniques for teaching children to read.